World Cup in Qatar is loading…!
Are you looking to attend the World Cup in Qatar by car from Bahrain? If so, we’ve got you covered! Here is what you need to know and get in order to cross borders from Bahrain to Qatar by your vehicle!
When can you go to Qatar?
You can get into Qatar as soon as the 1st of November, 2022, and until the tournament ends.
What borders are you going to cross?
First, you’ll have to pass by the King’s Fahad Causeway. Second, pay a 2.5 BD toll on your way from and back to Bahrain for the vehicle. Last, get your car insurance! The price will depend on the period of time you’ll be traveling.
You’ll first exit the Saudi Salwa border and then you’ll go through the Abu Samra border to get to Qatar.
What are the procedures you need to know?
Qatar’s Ministry of Interior had announced that measures would be enforced upon arrival at the Abu Samra border crossing. The Hayya card that you hold will determine the procedures that will be followed and the eligibility requirements upon your arrival.
What is a Hayya card?The Hayya card is a Fan ID that is a personalized document issued to fans attending the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 matches. To access the stadium on match day you need your Hayya card and applicable match tickets. Only one Hayya card is needed per person for the duration of the tournament.
What happens after arrival?
Good news! GCC citizens and residents will be able to enter the country as they do in normal situations.
However, if you’re not a GCC citizen or resident then the Ministry of Interior is providing free transportation from the border crossing to central Doha. Also, you can communicate with family or friends to transfer you to the country or hop into a taxi from the Al Qalayel area.
Make sure to use the same passport for crossing borders as the one used for Hayya card registration.
What about your personal vehicle?
It’s a little complicated but we’ll try to make it easy!
- To get in with your vehicle, your entry depends on having an entry permit for your car approved on the Hayya portal.
- To obtain that, you are required to have an approved accommodation reservation through the Hayya portal for at least 5 nights (for the driver only).
- This permit can be obtained by submitting an application through the Haya portal.
- You’ll get an email upon being approved with a link, use it to insure your car.
- After you insure your car, continue the permit issuance process by paying 5,000 Qatari Riyals (518 Bahraini Dinars) within 24 hours. Pay attention that this fee is non-refundable.
- There should be at least 3 people in the car with a maximum of 6 people, provided that they are all Hayya card holders.
- The permit is for one use only, you won’t be able to enter twice using the same permit!
What if you’re going on a one-day trip?
If you’re looking to attend one match within a 24-hours period, then, you can enter and exit without having to book a hotel reservation. Of course, you still need a valid Hayya card under the ‘one-day category’ and have valid match tickets. Also, don’t forget to reserve a car parking bay in advance through the Hayya portal before you arrive in Qatar.
How much does the parking cost?
Good news! The parks for the first 24 hours are free of charge! After that though, a service charge of 1,000 QR (104 BD) has to be paid for the second day!
Be careful not to exceed 48 hours! Security will tow your car and you’ll have to pay 1,000 QR (104 BD) for towing fee.
The parking bay booking service will be available starting from the 1st of Nov, 2022, and can be accessed through the Hayya card.